Friday 14 March 2008

Savage S*it

Thursday 13th March 2008

* All I can say about the b(l)og title is it wisnae me for a change!

Decided to heads to the Gorms with Davie Crawford. We had been pondering some Southern Highlands action but we reckoned that there was probably too much snow and a good possibility that the insulated turf was not frozen.

I was keen on climbing Savage Slit (V,6), in fact I’ve been keen on climbing Savage Slit since the first time I walked into Coire an Lochan and my jaw dropped at the line. I’ve never won the weekend race to the foot of the route though. However we were first into the corrie on Thursday, despite our very leisurely start.

The Crux

I led the two main pitches which were great! Absorbing climbing that you always had to think about but never quite desperate. For being such a short route it certainly packs in some quality climbing.

Plenty of back and footing ....

Davie looking guilty

It was a good to walk out of the gorms in a nice, still, starlit evening. We managed to see a couple of spindrift tornadoes snaking round the corrie. One hit us on the walkout and it was like being in a proper full on whiteout but only for five seconds. Weird !

No comments: