Tuesday 11 March 2008

More Norwegian Ice

28th Feb - 3rd March 2008

I’ve found the crux of this midweek climbing experiment to be getting partners on days when conditions are good. So when I was offered another chance to head back to Norway I was thinking “7 potential partners with time off to go climbing”. Conditions in Rjukan were reported to be bad with a heavy thaw melting everything.

We managed to get quite a lot of climbing done given bleak outlook. Myself, Stuart Mearns, Andrew Fraser & Ian Magill spent the first day in the lower gorge where we basically threw the guide out and walked up the gorge climbing anything that looked climbable. On day 2 myself & Mearnsey climbed Trappfoss, one of the classic WI4s in the area. We didn’t really see many people on the first two days but on the third it became apparent that everyone was hiding at Krokan. Top ropes setup on practically every climb, with almost a climbing wall mentality of queuing for routes. My motivation wasn’t really there so I seconded Mearnsey up a couple of routes and we called it a day early.

Ian Magill and Andrew Fraser on Host (WI4)

The Gorge and Vemork Bridge. Thanks to Andrew for the photo.
(If you look closely you can see me coming up Host)


Thanks to Stuart, Andrew, Ian, Kev, Cam, Ced & Mark for a “cracking” trip !

No comments: